Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Teaching with The Mindset List

A couple of weeks ago in A210 we listened in on a free Mediasite webinar about The Mindset List, a "globally reported and utilized guide to the intelligent if unprepared adolescent consciousness."

The Mindset List, which Beloit College has been updating for over a decade, is now a book, and the authors, Tom McBride and Ron Nief, led us through an hour long discussion of putting the list to use in the modern classroom.


There were a number of eye-opening statements from McBride & Nief, including the following:
  • It's not that the students don't know, but that they haven't had the same experiences
  • The students assume that the technology is there and possible, because it always has been!
  • Time magazine published its issue "Welcome to Cyberspace" the year most of our students were born--for them, it has always been a reality
  • Dealing with technology in the classroom and teaching responsible use of technology in higher education is a recursive process
  • Students need to understand that there's a difference between instant information and instant right answers
I got some great ideas for approaching students, and for using new strategies in the classroom. Some of the ideas grew from things I already do--like using design elements in my presentations (photos, media) instead of too much text. But there were a lot of things I plan to try this semester and semesters to come, including:
  • Defining what "being prepared" means in my classroom
  • Flipping my classroom so that I use lecture capture to record lectures for students to watch as homework and use my face-to-face classroom time for "lab" work, which in English usually means drafting, consulting/peer review, and revision time
I also plan to continue to mine current technology and social media trends for things I can apply to my classroom for the students' benefit.

Overall, the webinar was a success, but it made me curious to pick your brains and ask: What do you do to reach your modern students, and what do you think you might start doing differently?